AIR IPEDS Pilot Workshop Opportunity Awaits You...NEW IPEDS Workshop Being Piloted at the NEAIR Conference
November 2, 2019 – 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
Newport Marriott Hotel, Newport, RI
Title: Beyond Compliance: How to Use IPEDS Data to Examine Student and Institutional Success
Description: This workshop is designed for individuals interested in utilizing IPEDS data to examine and measure student and institutional success. The first half of the workshop explores the five IPEDS surveys that contain academic performance metrics (Completions, Graduation Rates, 200% Graduation Rates, Fall Enrollment, and Outcome Measures). Through group discussion, activities, and lectures, participants will learn what the measurements can—and cannot—tell us about student and institutional performance. The second half of the workshop will involve hands-on activities to work through a series of case studies based on real-life scenarios. Participants will identify the question being asked in each case study; determine the best metric(s) to use to answer the question; extract data using the IPEDS tools; perform analyses; and present the data to answer the question. Participants will gain the knowledge needed to explore and answer questions at their institutions or organizations.
After participating in the workshop, participants will:
- Understand historical context regarding IPEDS student and institutional success data elements.
- Understand best practices for using IPEDS data to answer questions about student and institutional success.
- Understand the differences between and be able to analyze IPEDS success metrics.
- Be able to use different comparison groups (e.g., peer, aspirational) to compare an individual institution’s success metrics.
- Be able to use IPEDS tools to access and share data that can be used to document the effectiveness of institutions of higher education.
This workshop is limited to 25 participants and workshop seats are allocated on a first-come, first-served basis. Seat confirmations are delivered via email on a rolling basis approximately 3 business days after an online seat registration is submitted.
Note: Participants are required to bring a MAC or PC laptop with wireless capability and Microsoft Excel.
Financial support for this workshop is provided by the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES).